Wednesday, September 24, 2014

B-day dinner at Bistro Don Julio!

For some time now, people have already been talking about this place. They all have one opinion in common:' great food, but pricey'. Since it was for a birthday celebration, I thought 'let's give it a shot!'. I made my reservations up front, which at the end was not even needed. We were one of the few tables occupied, which for me means 'better service'.

Great Service!!
So I don't know if service is normally this good, but everyone was very attentive. The birthday boy got all kinds of congratulations with his b-day and everyone seems to be communicated about this. The waiters were really professional in that they do share the specials of the day, the choices of game and fish of the day. Drinks came on time and the order in which the food got served was like I'd expect from a quality service restaurant. Wine got poured timely whenever our glasses were nearly empty. I was suppose to choose a dessert, so that they can do a birthday thing, but the birthday boy already felt that would happen and said he'd prefer not to, so I didn't do anything about it.

The food


Before my visit, I already asked around what's good. Some people tell me the T-bone, some say the pasta's, but since I was really in the mood for MEAT (when don't I, right?) the choice was made for a T-bone and a rib-eye. Instead of appetizers we chose to order something from the tapas menu. Since it was a birthday celebration, we got the garlic bread as a gift and we also ordered the Bang Bang and tapenade. One thing I gotta admit, they do love fresh ingredients. The bread was drenched in the garlic butter, which was flavorful and moist, but still has the crunchiness in the bread. The bang bang and the tapenade were really good. The birthday boy even said that he'd even prefer this above salmon. Since we had to wait for the wine, we did let the meat sit for a while after it got served. So my rib-eye was a bit towards medium, but I could still taste the juiciness and the awesome flavor of grilled steak. The mushroom sauce really complements it. The T-bone was the right temperature, but the texture of the meat was a bit on the rough side. I believe not enough marbling in the meat. The pepper sauce was ok, but not impressive. And when I told the owner about the T-bone texture, he assured me he's gonna research where the problem might be.




The place
The restaurant has an indoor and outdoor area. The indoor is created as a bar area, where people can sit back and relax, have a drink and a very chillax atmosphere. Outdoor, there are tables lined up in both the patio and the garden area. What I do like about the place is that it has a cozy feeling, with all the greens and paintings/pictures on the outer wall of the house. What needs some improvement are:
- ventilation. they did put fans around the place, but it was still a bit hot. And for so few tables and I was already sweating, I don't want to imagine when it's crowded.
- music. There's music indoor, but outdoor it's a bit quiet. Great for talking, but matching background music would create a better atmosphere.
- décor. I'm not that fond of the Christmas light and the ornaments. Maybe they're early for Christmas. I understand that they'd like to create an obvious line between patio and garden. I have no idea what they can use yet, but maybe a wooden carved wall or so?

Overall, I had a great experience with the attentive staff, the juicy rib-eye and an expected check. However people say it's expensive, I believe the prices are still affordable (and no, I'm not rich). However the prices of wine and pasta are a bit steep, but all other prices are really do-able. 100 srd (less than $30,-) for a big piece of rib-eye.....I'd pay it any time I'd crave for one.

For those who'd like to check the place out, they have a website:
http://bistrodonjulio.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment