Saturday, November 3, 2012

Time to Wine

Red wine comes in many varieties and have a great range in body. From the light bodied Gamay Noir (also known as the Beaujolais) to the full bodied Cabernet Sauvignon, they all have their own sophisticated flavors and elements.


Red wine is said to be complex and that's the reason why most people prefer White wines or Rose, because it's simpler to taste. For me, they all have their own thing, but I gotta admit that my palate is prefering the red more and more.

Last night, it's Time to Wine again! And to give you an idea of how much fun such a night can become, I started the night feeling a bit under the weather. Probably some stress from work or maybe the November rain, but I really felt as if I wasn't even looking forward to the wine class. Even having a thought like 'just get it over with', but at the end of the class, I forgot all about feeling ill or whatsoever. It's always a nice time discussing with my winemates. Even if it's about politics, the subject I hate most!

Anyway, don't want to keep you guys waiting any longer. We had a sort of blind tasting again. The instructor put two bottles of red in a paperbag and we were poured both in two different wineglasses.


The first wine we had was very strong in flavor and tannic. I was really trying hard to taste what's inside, but still can't get any aromas out of it yet.

The second one compared to the first, was like day and night. Just to give you an idea, the first one felt like heavy metal head banging and the second one was like 'the swan lake'. Totally different in feel, in taste,,,,in everything except that they're both red.

And I gotta say, it didn't feel that uneasy this time to do a blind tasting. And the wines were:

1. Trivento Malbec 2010

2. Beacon Hill Shiraz 2008

Shiraz

And in addition, we also had another red wine, which is known as a Meritage. A Meritage is a blend wine produced of 2-3 Bordeaux grapes. For many wine lovers, Bordeaux is known as the largest wine grape growing region in France. It is known for their fullbody reds like the Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Carmenere, Malbec and Cabernet Francs.


So, this one is called 'Arte Valduga'.
This one is a meritage of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Francs. It was soft, easy on the palate and above all, we were all surprised that this great wine actually came from Brasil!
Most of all, I was so happy that I finally had a good read!! I tasted instantly the Cabernet Sauvignon in this! Yay,,,that's one step closer to becoming a wine expert! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment