Saturday, October 27, 2012

Glam and Glitz in a bottle

This weekend is awesome! Three great things happened:

1. I receive a comment from Marieke Visser, that she'd like to recommend my blog in the Suriname HOT magazine, which is by the way the best tourism magazine. And no, it's not because of the recommendation that I'm saying this. Let me tell you why I believe they are the best:
- it's for free, so they have a broad coverage
- it's glossy, full color and lots of great pictures in it.
- all articles are in both english and dutch
- and the articles are easy to read.
So, Suriname HOT magazine  crew, you guys are doing an awesome job!! Keep up the good work!

2. My blog has finally hit the 1000 views. When I started in May, I really thought ' Hmm,,,,how long will it take before I get 1000 views'. But it's finally here.....! All thanks to you guys!! :D


3. And as if my wine course instructor knew I had things to celebrate, yesterday we did 'Champagne'!! It's a wine that people link with celebration, romance and all the glamour and glitter in the world.


Some facts about Champagne:

- it's only called Champagne if it's actually produced from grapes from the Champagne region in France. Otherwise, it's called sparkling wine
- this bubbly drink was actually created by accident. Back then, bubbles in your wine meant there was something wrong with it.
- and the the founder of this awesome drink is Dom Perignon ( Yes, the same as the most prestigious bubbly in the world)
- there are about 5 million bubbles in a bottle of Champagne. ( People actually did research this)
- Other names other countries uses for this bubbly:
* the germans call it 'Sekt'
* 'Spumante' is the name the Italians gave it
* For the spanish, they love their 'Cava'

For this evening full of bubbles, the instructor was really giving us a hard time. He gave us 3 different kinds of bubbly to sample, but without showing us the label of the bottle. Ohmigod...I never knew it felt so uneasy to not know what I'm drinking. The curiosity, the anxiety, it was really a reaction I didn't expect myself to have for blind tastings. But ok, so like the tasting, I'll give you guys my opinion first, before I tell you what drink it was.


1. the first bubbly was very light. Both in color and in flavor and as the fluid was in my glass, I hardly see any bubbles unless I shook the glass a bit.

2. the second glass was way better. The color was nearly the same as the first one, but it had a stronger flavor and it even tasted familiar. I could see some bubbles without moving the glass.

3. The third one was more acidic, the color was a bit darker, but for me a bit too acidic. Lots of bubbles for this one.

For me, the 2nd one is the winner!! Are you even curious as me at that moment to know which bubbly was which?? Here are the results:

1.  Villa Teresa Prosecco

2.  Moet & Chandon ( I knew it, I knew it)

3. Heidsieck Monopole


And if you think this was all, you're soo mistaking. We had some Kir Royale, which is a cocktail made normally with cassis and sparkling wine. We got the best of the best: Prosecco + Chambord.
Chambord is a raspberry liqueur in a very fancy bottle. It smelled so sweet and the aroma of raspberry lingers. It made me think of really sweet candy. And surprisingly, the cocktail didn't tasted as sweet as I thought it would.

But of course, it wouldn't be wise to do cocktails with the expensive champagnes. It's an option, and an outcome if you receive a bottle you don't like. If you're in the cocktail mood, try it also respectively with orange juice and mango juice.

As a last surprise of the evening, we even had a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. For those of you who don't know it yet: it is said that New Zealand makes the best Sauvignon Blancs. They have the best terrior for the sauvignon blanc grapes.

I gotta say, it's the best Sauvignon Blanc I've had so far. The flavor was very well combined. Nothing was too overwhelming. It was very well balanced, easy to drink and fresh, crisp.

But back to bubbly, which is your favorite and when do you prefer to drink it?



No comments:

Post a Comment