Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Carifesta: evaluation

It's already 2 days after the closing ceremony of Carifesta. Everything seems to be back to the daily routine. But after such a big event, I believe it is necessary for everyone to evaluate for themselves what were the highlights and what could be improved ...for the next time.

After the marvelous show of Tropicana Santiago de Cuba, I only went to a show in Thalia and that was the end of my Carifesta experience. I went to Thalia with the intention to see some tango. On the program that I'd downloaded in the very beginning of Carifesta, I saw that there would be a tango show from Argentina in Thalia. However the show of T&T, Jamaica and Haiti was very good and especially since entrée was only SRD 5,-, but it's like expecting to eat Tiramisu and getting chocolate cake instead. However the latter is still delicious, but it is totally different from expectations. But no sweat, a good show need to be praised. The dancers gave their utmost to express the emotions they wanted to show through dance. During the 90-100 minutes, I learned a bit of Haiti's history, the proudness of the Black people (not to be disrespectful, but Black was what they used in their performance) and the elegance of their dance moves. The bitterness of the angry Jamaican could be felt in the deepness of my skin.


Next to this show, I also attended the Nationale Kunstbeurs (National Art Fair) and saw the artistic talents of Suriname. And I notice that I have a very expensive taste when it comes to art. All the pieces that I like were at least $1500,- worth, so I guess I either need to become richer (I've learned I should never say that I'm not rich) or need to learn how to paint myself. Will let you know in the future which one I chose.
 
Back to evaluating the Carifesta event. Let's start with the great things I like about the whole event:
1. the affordability
    Most of the activities were kept at a minimum entrée fee or were even free to enter. The Columbia
    stand at Palm Garden even gave out free samples of their culinary items.
2. involvement of the other districts
     
    Every district was so involved and created their own Carifesta happening. This way will not only
    create a better distribution of people, but also create a chance for the districts to promote their
    specialties.
3. international standard performances

 
 
    This does not only include the performances of the artists. Of course, it was a cherry on top to have
     celebrities like Wyclef Jean and DJ Chuckie to be part of the whole happening, but let's not forget
     the awesome light and sound show that could be enjoyed at our own presidential palace. The
     variety designs on the catwalk from local and international designers.
 
I can go on and on about all the great things that happened, but this was the top 3 that comes to mind. And as the highlights, I would also only mention three improvements that would enhance the atmosphere.
 
1. improved information distribution
    In this period many things went wrong due to a lack of information distribution. Not everybody   
    was aware of the information on time. And the discrepancies between the program and the actual
    happenings that day. However I still enjoyed my show at Thalia, but I can understand that in the
    same case somebody might be furious not to have seen the tango due to a wrong schedule which 
    was given by the Carifesta site.
2. better organization for the many sub-events:
a screening of the many event ideas:
   If all event ideas were screened, it could have prevented disappointment from the visitor's side or at
   least, visitors could be informed in advance what they could expect. Incidents like having
   inappropriate clips shown on the screens of Youth Village.
-  the regulation
    And no disrespect to the owners/ organizers, but it would be nice to have
    someone regulating the seats at Flamboyant during the Tropicana show and remain visitors from
    feeling agitated because latecomers are sitting in front of them.
have information on paper and stick to it
   I happen to have friends participating in the several events and internally many things went wrong.
   At the last minute changes were made like the payment of the stands at Palm Garden or that the
   culinary stand of Columbia will not be part of GCM, but will be located at Palm Garden and other
   countries were also planning to put their stand in the Palm Garden instead of GCM. I can only
   assume how pissed everyone is with these sudden changes.
3. better timing
    Like in my second blog about Carifesta: http://atastybit.blogspot.com/2013/08/carifesta-who-is-it-for.html where I wondered for who this event is intended. I believe that this will need to be taken into
consideration. Even though the entrée fee is kept low, but everyone who goes out would like to have some extra cash to spend. Even if it's only for gas to drive around, money for drinks and a snack, it's still an expense. And if it's for foreigners, consider the school holidays when most families plan to travel.


No comments:

Post a Comment