Thursday, August 22, 2013

Carifesta: Tropicana Santiago de Cuba

After several mentioned attempts to Carifesta events that left me with an awful aftertaste, I even hesitated to go to Tropicana. This is a Nightclub Cabaret Show. For some days, it has been greatly promoted on several media outlets and after a great review of it in the newspaper, I decided to give it a shot. However it was mentioned that the entrée would be SRD 25,-, when I stood in front of the gate it seemed they either lowered their prices or that the person writing the review was misinformed.

At first, the night started pretty well. We got a very neat parking space near the entrance and when I finally was in the hall, there was an empty seat, which after verifying with the neighbor appeared to be vacant. Since there was still so much space next to the empty seat and I saw plastic chairs piled up in the back, I asked my boyfriend to grab a chair and join me. Here the disturbance started.
                           
First, since the ladies in the back saw the same empty space as me, they moved in front and put their chairs next to mine. Even after I told them that my boyfriend was coming with the chair, they only mumbled something about moving a bit to the side when he finally reaches. I thought you know what....I don't want to spoil my evening, so I moved to their old spaces together with my boyfriend.
Supposedly no sweat right? Those spaces were already taken. Well...here another moment I can only sigh and shake my head to.
The lady behind that space while talking on the phone complained with phrases like :' Some antisocial people come in late and is sitting in front of me' and that said with the intention to stir up the neighboring crowd. And the man some seats next to us agreed loudly with it. (and I was not even blocking his view). But I have the idea that they thought we could not understand/speak Dutch, because as soon as my boyfriends made a remark that she doesn't need to get all fuzzy about it, the whole atmosphere changed and both the lady and the man were totally quiet and had totally no problem whatsoever with us sitting there. So, what do I have to make out of these moment-of-truths? I'll leave you, the reader, to judge it yourself.

For me, I was done with this issue as soon as I sat down. I was there for the show and especially since I saw people grabbing their own chairs and sitting totally in the front where the VIP's are seated, I don't see the problem with me there in the middle of the hall.

Even though, the show started awkwardly, but I enjoyed the Nightclub Cabaret Club "Tropicana Santiago de Cuba"

from the beginning till the end. All the bright colors, the headdresses and the costumes. It IS what I do expect from such a show. What amazes me the most is the way the acts follow up on each other. There were no quiet moments, no seconds that you imagine what to do now and it actually keeps me so mesmerized that I even remained from going to the restroom. The greatly advertised act, the fire spitting act, was actually my least favorite. Maybe because I have already seen several of these acts before and I expected to be more spectacular. The only thing I could think of was that she can save on hair removal products, since all hair on her skin should be burned by now. But next to that, the singers went to great altitudes with their voice. I don't understand a word they sing, but it was amazing!! And don't forget the band.....they only had a moment's rest during the fire spitting act, but next to that they were constantly playing. I really admire their stamina and energy. And what makes it memorable is that during the final act, all the members of Tropicana really showed how much they loved what they were doing.

That was the best SRD10,- spent and I would even spend more if that would avoid seating arguments. It is highly recommended for the organization to have a seating arrangement plan or maybe have such an event at a different location. For those of you, who still want to see this show. Tonight is their final act, so be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment