Saturday, February 1, 2014

My first time eating poon choi

First of all, Happy Lunar Year! It's year of the wooden horse, so may everybody have an energetic and bright year!

Before you're gonna make fun of the word, 'poon', in Chinese it means 'bowl', so laugh it off and we're gonna continue with the dish 'Poon Choi'. It can also be translated as Big Bowl Feast.

This is a traditional dish mostly eaten at weddings and with new year. But I believe that the inventor probably lack serving plates and saw a wooden/metal basin nearby and thought, "you know what I'll just put everything in here and I'll call it 'Big Bowl Feast'.  This dish can include ingredients like pork, beef, lamb, chicken, duck, abalone, ginseng, shark fin, prawns, crabs, mushrooms, fish ball and so on and so on,....... However it might seem like a mix of too many things, it give a certain harmony feeling. It's like when you're eating crabs with a whole group of friends (at least in Suriname). Everybody just dig in the dish and start eating.

The Poon Choi I had with Lunar Year's celebration consisted of the following 'dishes':

- roasted duck
- steamed chicken
- beef stew
- fish ball
- beef ball
- sweet and sour shrimp
- mushrooms
- and underneath we found all kinds of Chinese veggies and stuff. It's like a treasure bowl and you just don't know what you might get.

The experience was fun since it was the first time and quite different from what I'm used to. It feels like a Chinese fondue with regular à la carte mixed together. And my advise: order a smaller bowl than the amount of people you have, since at the end we had a lot left over. It was nice to experience it once, but I prefer my à la carte experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment