Tuesday, April 15, 2014

SCA Fundraising dinner @ Torarica

Last Tuesday I got invited by a good friend to join him for the fundraising dinner held by Suriname Chef Association. This time the location was Torarica. The setting is rather dim, nice for a romantic ambiance, but not convenient if you have to read. Good thing the menu was in a rather big font.

The menu for that night was:
 




 


The first thing I received was the welcoming's cocktail. I noticed that mine looked different compared to the one of my dining partner. Mine was a nice Ying Yang of yellow and green and my dining partner's drink was layered.           
 
The drink was a bit on the sour side and like my other experience, no one gave instructions to stir/mix the drink.  
 
What I do like about the idea is the use of Surinamese fruits in this one. It's made with Katahar and guava as the main ingredients.


 In the flyer, there was mentioning of a surprise. So instead of a 3-course dinner, we received an amuse with it.

From the information I got, this was from the host restaurant. A Bara and a deep-fried fish ball. I miss the fluffiness of the Bara and however for me the chutney salsa was not hot, I believe it should be given as a choice to the guest if he/she would like to spice it up.

The appetizer was the trio chicken.

 The first chicken was a piece of chicken breast with the corn salsa. The chicken was blend and the corn was still hard!!

The second chicken was the omelet. Yeah...eggs sort of are un-hatched chickens.

And the third chicken is probably the ones in the ragout. The ragout had a very nice flavor and creamy texture.

The chefs explained that they received fresh corns and it didn't get soft after hours of cooking. After some research on the internet, I came across some similar issues, but they mentioned two reasons why corn might be rubbery and hard:
- overcooked
- salt

The entrée is brisket with loofah squash and potato rosti.


The brisket was soft, but not as soft as I expected it should be. It has an ok flavor, but nothing fancy and not impressive.

The loofah squash had the hard edges and a soft center.

The green split pea puree had a nice flavor, but very unfortunate to still have some uncooked peas in it.

My potato rosti was burned and was very greasy.

My advice for this dish would be:
1. peel the edges of the loofah squash.
2. the potato rosti soaked up so much oil. It could be that the oil was maybe not hot enough. And after deep-frying, place it on paper towels to soak up the excessive oil. And it goes without saying that someone should really pay attention while deep-frying it.


The dessert is coconut flan.
Flan is an easy, but yet delicate dessert. What I mostly like about flan is the caramel sauce, which I do miss on this one.

The flan is soft and creamy and is well-flavored. Not too sweet.

The flan has pieces of coconut in it, which adds texture to the dessert. For me, the pieces are still a bit too big. I understand that the chef would like to really bring out the coconut in the flan, but I would prefer coconut shreds in it.

However I do love dark chocolate, but I believe a caramel garnish would've been more suitable.

Compared with my previous SCA fundraising dinner @Marriott, I am quite disappointed with this experience. Probably the mystery baskets are getting tougher nearing the competition, but that should be expected by the chefs.

During these coming 2 months before the competition, I expect the chefs to be training themselves with all kinds of unexpected ingredients. For example, watch Chopped and use the ingredients to create a dish. Ingredients that need a longer cooking time, browse the internet for solutions to tenderize or ways to speed-up the process.

In Dutch there is a saying" goed begonnen is half gewonnen", which means if you are prepared and have a good start,  you have won half the battle already.

I don't hope my post will come over as a discouragement or offensive, since I do support the chefs in this upcoming challenge. I hope this will be an eye-opener and a wake- up call that everyone should be on their A-game towards the Taste of the Caribbean Competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment