Friday, April 4, 2014

Souposo: the first soup bar in Suriname!

Last week I visited Souposo, the first soup bar in Suriname. They started first in November 2012, where Ramon Beuk came to serve the first bowl of soup. Their first location was at the Van Roseveltkade. Now they moved to the Costerstraat, which I believe is a good change of scenery.

http://www.switi-sranan.com/souposo/


borrowed from Jill-Joy Landburg
Souposo serves breakfast, lunch and dinner and they serve different soups every day. However it's a soup bar, but they serve more than soup. One of the dinner entrées my friend recommended is the Luxe Moksi Alesi, which is nicely plated with a piece of skirt steak on top of a small pile of Moksi Alesi( mixed rice) and a tomato salsa sauce drizzle.

This is my opinion about the place:
  - The decoration of the restaurant
  It is very colorful, but yet stylish. It feels as if I step in an art house, where the chairs and the tables
  are its art. It has a bookshelves with books and all together gives a really cozy ambiance. There is
  also the option to sit outside in the open; looking at it all gives me the feeling of a picnic place. Very
  relaxed. I just love the bright colors combined with the wooden accents!

- Service
  The staff is very friendly. Everyone I saw smiled to me and our waitress was nice.

- Food
  We ordered the skirt steak (luxe moksi alesi) and the pork chop. However the waitress replied that we could share one  
  meal (maybe she thought I eat little), but I saw a picture before and knew that it would not be enough for the both of us. The skirt steak was well-seasoned, but for my idea a bit too small. The
  pork chop was very tender and could be seasoned a bit more. The sauce used for both dishes were a bit on the strong side. For the steak, I didn't even used any of the salsa. It was good as and I wouldn't want to change the flavor by dipping on any sauce. And maybe the idea was that the strong mustard sauce was to give the pork chop the flavor? I dunno, but I was not that fond of the sauces.


- The location
 At the old location, it was always hard to find a parking space. The new location is a bit better, but they should consider maybe joining forces with the office nearby. They have a parking space across the street and after business hours, it's not really used.

-Price
The price is a bit above average, but not too extreme. And here rise the question once again as mentioned in my old post Something to think about: Surinamese gourmet?: Are you willing to pay for Surinamese gourmet? However it's a fusion, but it's a great initiative towards Surinamese gourmet, so I will support it. Do you?





For everyone, who would like to check this place out, this is their contact information:

No comments:

Post a Comment