Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Culinary tour: Aruba- dinner

Dinner is always a bit difficult, since there are so many options. And since those, who have visited Aruba, already know, it's not cheap to dine out in Aruba.  Unless, you're gonna cook every night or have fast food every night, it's unavoidable to go into food temptations.

For everyone, who's going on vacation, I'd say 'if you want to really have vacay at Aruba and able to enjoy the place without hesitations, calculate at least $100,- per day.' Of course, you can get through it with less, but it all depends how much freedom you're allowing yourself. I mean, you can always make your own breakfast. There are two great supermarkets: Ling's & Sons and Super food. You can get practically everything there, even Surinamese veggies (not always and mostly expensive). You can even do that with every meal on your vacation, but are you really willing to cook on your holiday? I know I don't and I want to experience new restaurants and new food creations.

I know I promised my top 3, but there are just so many choices that are so good that I just don't know where to start. So I was thinking of putting it in the order of budget to fancy.

 Smokey Joe ( costs: about $20 per person)

recommended dress code: as casual as you want

http://menuinternational.com/aruba/portfolio/smokey-joes-island-grill/

This is a ribs joint that's nearly always busy. The place is very colorful and has a pretty broad menu. But since they're famous for their ribs, of course I ordered ribs. I went for the '4-way sampler', which includes 4 half racks and 2 sides. The half racks are all cooked differently: original, smokey's signature, jerk and dry rub. I gotta admit, the Smokey's signature was really good. The original was ok, but for me, I don't really like the jerk and dry rub. Maybe because there's comparison, but I didn't like those two. And the funny about the whole experience is that every table gets an empty tin can. For what?? For the bones of the baby back ribs!! And the sizes were pretty good too, but I just didn't have any room left after the total of one full rack of baby back ribs. The price is pretty affordable, but just not the place you want to impress your date. Unless your date is a meatatarian like me and don't mind to get her fingers dirty...It's just no fun eating ribs with fork and knife.
For the menu, please check it out here

Texas de Brazil/ Amazonia

recommended dress code: casual evening, but comfortable ( not too tight since you'll need the extra space in your clothes)
http://www.arubarestaurants.com/
http://www.arubarestaurants.com/
 However these are two different Brazilian steakhouses, but they serve the same concept. For one fixed price ( I believe it's about $40,- per person), you have the freedom to choose what you want from the salad bar and how much you want to eat. There is this grill, where the chef is grilling all kinds of meat skewers and the 'meat-guys' (I don't have another name for them) will bring the skewers to every table that has a 'green' sign. Let me explain the 'green' sign. In the beginning when you meet your waiter/waitress, you'll be explained about the traffic light system they use. You receive a coaster or a piece of wood with on one end green and on one end red. Whenever you're ready to have some (a LOOOOT of) meat, you turn your coaster/piece of wood with the green side up. So the meat-guys know you're ready to have some meat. The experience was somewhat different. I mean..it doesn't happen so often that guys are standing in line to ask you if you'd like to have some of his meat. :D But I gotta say this, even for a meatatarian like myself, it was a bit too much meat. And the awful thing is that even though you  know what's gonna happen, you're just never too prepared... But for the first timers, I have the following advice:

1. Have your lunch like 4 hours before you come to this restaurant. If you were thinking of starving yourself, it will work against you.
2. I know how tempting the salad bar is, but don't overdo it on the starch and salads. Unless of course you prefer salad above meat, but then I'm not sure this is something for you.
3. They kitchen closes at around 11 pm, so take your time. They are not gonna deny you meat if you've been there starting at 7pm. They will still serve you if you give green light. And chewing the meat on your pace is better than hurrying yourself to swallow the meat.
4. Go early...then you can really take your time to enjoy everything.
5. Drink something that stimulates the digestion like a wine or so.

And which of the two is better? There is not really something that made a big difference between these two restaurants. The only difference is that Amazonia has a sushi bar, paid separately and for Texas de Brazil, I got a coupon for $25,- off after I registered.

Madame Janette

recommended dress code: casual chic

http://www.madamejanette.info/joomla2/

This place is in one word 'magical'. Some of the tables were under the trees and the ambiance was very romantic. And above all, they have a wine cellar!!! They offer international cuisine and serve a pretty good steak. I went there last year, so my apologies that I only remember the great company and the ambiance. I remember it was good, but not that good to leave an impression.

Ruth's Chris

recommended dress code: dress to impress (it's not a must, but you'll see most people wearing quite chique)

However Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is more of an American brand, but according to people I know, this one in Aruba serves a better steak. It's of course not a budget restaurant, but from time to time, it's ok to pamper yourself with something great! However their steak is prepared very simple and have no sides on it, it's the best steak I ever had. Not too many other spices to overwhelm the flavor of the steak, it was perfectly cooked and the wine we ordered was great with it. I still remember the wine....it was '14 hands Cabernet Sauvignon'. If you want to try this restaurant, but still wants to keep the costs low, check if they have the '2 for $99,-' special. You pay $99,- for you and your date and you both can choose an appetizer and an entrée and a shared dessert. But if you are going there for the steak, choose one for the regular price and you may share a side. After the big piece of meat, and the big portion side, you'll hardly have any room left.


And of course then there's Papillon restaurant, but for that you will have to wait for my next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment