Friday, July 18, 2014

Culinary tour: Aruba- Papillon Restaurant

Papillon Restaurant gives off a vibe of French mix Caribbean and the stands in front of it is kinda taking the spotlight away from them. But it of course has its advantages. There is the 'I (love) Aruba sign' in the very front and the stands in the middle, which creates a heavy flow of tourists in that area, but for someone who likes to enjoy dinner quietly with the focus on ambiance and breathe in the great thing the restaurant has to offer, it is a bit on the crowded side. But that's just me, so that's also why I chose to sit inside.

http://papillonaruba.com/
Since my first visit, I already wanted to visit this restaurant. It reminds me of  Le Papillon of Sandals Royal Plantation, where they offer a heavenly escargot, a juicy black angus and white glove service. So when I read about their '5-course for $50,-' deal, I sure grabbed this chance. And that it comes with 5 wines was like a cherry on top.

First, we got a friendly welcome and was showed to our seats. We chose a seat that was in a forgotten corner inside, where we could still see the crowdedness outside, but not hear them. Inside gave me a feeling of the old French, with many wood accents and dimmed lights. However we were in what seemed to be a forgotten corner, but our waitress surely did not forget about us. We soon got our menu and the 'bread with butter', which is a lump of bread and some pesto and olive oil. The bread was a bit on the heavy side.


Our first course was the Rillette of Salmon & dill,
paired with Chateau Ropiteau ,Chardonnay
Here I really noticed how I know but little about the terms. I had to google rillette, which is similar to pate, but just a bit different in texture and preparation.

This dish came with some arugula salad, which was not so bitter as I thought it would. The salmon was cooked very well, but the rillettes was a bit dry, but with the sauce, it made a great texture.
The chardonnay that came with it was light and fruity.

The second dish was Sweetbread & Asparagus,
paired with Minuty, Rose

This dish was a bit disappointing. The asparagus was cooked right, but it has no flavor and nothing much was done with it.

The wine has a rose bouquet, but a bit on the dry side.

But probably this course has to create the contrast with the next one, because then we got the third dish: Cream of Potato & Truffle
paired with B&G, Chenin Blanc

This is one dish that makes me want to come back for more. It tasted so heavenly. The warmth of the soup, the earthiness of the truffle and a butterscotch aftertaste, it just creates that warm and fuzzy feeling inside that gives you the feeling of being in love. And the amount was just the right one. However I'd love some more, but if I'd have more the butterscotch would overwhelm and I'd feel sick afterwards.

The wine was very fruity.

However on the menu was supposed to be Suckling Pig & Dijon, we were notified that that's changed to Steak & Dijon. I surely am not one to protest against it.
This entrée is paired with Les Pommeredes, Merlot

I ordered my steak medium and my boyfriend asked for a medium rare. Somehow my steak came out medium well, but it could be that the hot plate changed the temperature on the way to my table. The honey mustard was not too sweet, which was better than I expected.

The merlot was well bodied. I could go for a second glass....

Last but not least, DESSERT!!! However I was actually already full, but I had to finish my 5- course.  It was Orange muffin & Dulce de Leche
paired with Sauternes, Bordeaux


The wine came first so I took a sip from my wine and it was sooo sweet. I did expect it to be sweet since it's the pairing wine for dessert, but if I only had to drink this without dessert, I probably wouldn't have chosen for this wine.

The nuts, the soft muffin and the ice cream made a wonderful combination. Not only based on their flavors, but the texture combines perfectly as well. Combined with this, the wine was much more drinkable and the dessert really brought out the apricot flavor in the wine.

Unfortunately, this special ended June 5th, but you can always just order à la cart or try their early bird special. And who knows? Maybe next year, they might have a '6-course for $60' for their 6th anniversary. Cross our fingers and hope they hear us.....

For more information on this restaurant, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment