Wednesday, June 20, 2012

For the Busy Bee or Lazy Cat

This morning I was talking with a friend about how he only cooks 2-3 times a year. That's awesome if you have that luxury to dine out every day, every meal. For me, I don't cook my every meal either. But since we're trying to cut costs, I'm trying to cook at least every weekend. That is of course not always fun. Especially when you have such a lazy sunday where you'd just like to chillax in front of the TV with an ice cold drink.

For such moments, I mostly check what's in the fridge and make something very easy with the ingredients I can find. But I have to admit,  I make sure there's always eggs and chicken franks in my house, because you can go various ways with it. It's my hungry emergency outcome #1.

Last sunday I made an egg casserole. The advantage of an egg casserole is that it needs very little time to prepare it and the oven does the rest. And if you can't finish it the same day, you can have it for breakfast, lunch or dinner the next day. For fitness go-ers, there's even an extra advantage of getting the proteins in without using any supplements. There are many other great recipes outthere, but for me, I just work with what I can find in my fridge. So this is the recipe:

Ingredients
6 eggs
4 chicken franks ( you can always substitute or add bacon. Who doesn't looove bacon)
a pinch salt
a pinch black pepper
1-2 fresh peppers ( not bell peppers for the spicy lovers)
a pinch parsley
a cup grated cheese ( any kind of cheese)

Preparation
Beat all the eggs. Cut the chicken franks and peppers and add it to the egg mixture in an 8" round pan. Add salt, black pepper and parsley to taste. Spread the grated cheese on top of the mixture.

For some of you who still have stale (still edible) bread at home, remove the crust and cut it in cubes and put it in the mixture before adding the cheese.

Put it in the oven at 180C for 15-20 min until all the cheese is melted and the casserole is golden brown.

That's all it takes for a meal that can be used as breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Bon Apetite!!

No comments:

Post a Comment