Monday, May 28, 2012

back to school

  

Last night, I wanted to be young again and go back to school. Yeah I know,,,believe me, I am not a nerd and it's not like 'I love school'. I am just the average person, who can't wait to finish up my college.
This feeling is created by looking at a youtube video about the educational system in Singapore and to be specifically, Ngee Ann Polytechnic.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/M_pIK7ghGw4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen

In this video you saw teenage students already learning the basics about programming. Back when I was their age, I hardly knew anything about the computer. Of course, it was a new phenomenon in Suriname, so everyone went to cybercafe's to browse and go on ICQ. But learning the indepth stuff?? The best example I can give about anything indepth that I've learned about the computer is programming in Pascal at university and I didn't like it. Yeah, so why would I want to go back for that right?
I think it's the way they positioned education. It is really cool. Like all modern, innovative and teachers who are really thinking of ways to get student's attention and involvement. I think that is something I really miss in Suriname's educational system. Most teachers became teacher, because of the wrong reasons: the many school breaks, the short working hours and the possibility to do another job after school. Only a handful really think of sharing the knowledge and creating a better future ( the kids of today are the future of tomorrow).
Even the vision of Ngee Ann Polytechnic in Singapore is made so attractive: "Connecting Minds, Unlocking Talents and Creating Value ". How awesome does that sound?
I'm not sure if they are really that good a school, but they sure got me with the informercials on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment