Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Meeting with the shaman

Last night, I went with my groupmembers to interview an Arowakan lady. She's an aunt from one of our colleague students and he said that she might help with our school project. The first impression when I saw her is that she's very down to earth and the usual feeling when I see an elderly person: respect. However I didn't know beforehand that she's a spiritual person, I felt weird. I don't know how to describe it, it felt as if something was not as it seems. The feeling that I was off balanced and people, who know me, know I am mostly confident and sure of the things to do or say, but this meeting knocked me off my feet in some sort of way.
During the interview, she talked the Arowak customs, their traditional costume and a lot about spiritual subjects. So near the end of the interview, it became clear that she was a Shaman or how we call it in Suriname "piaiman" or in this context " piaiwoman". According to thefreedictionary.com the definition of a Shaman is:

"A member of certain tribal societies who acts as a medium between the visible world and an invisible spirit world and who practices magic or sorcery for purposes of healing, divination, and control over natural events."

And I believe she is one too. She was very patient, super friendly and proud of her culture!! Even though she has a modern belief now, she still practices the traditional, medicinal rituals. She even made some statements that seemed a little too close to the truth. All in all, it was a very enlightening experience meeting a Shaman. She even taught us some Arowak words:

Alikaja Kuba- How are you? ( to greet someone)
Do Sabo - I am leaving
Aban Kiba - See you
Dashi Kabu - I love you

Awesome!! I can add another language to my resume, sort of. Oh well,,, Aban Kiba!!

No comments:

Post a Comment